Monday, April 4, 2011

At Last...........

Okay, I forgot my password for my blog. And I've been extremely busy, so I haven't blogged since last year. Well, there were some ups and downs and reshuffling my schedule and all of that, and now I am in my FINAL mod!! Yay!! My next step is to go out on my externship. I'm hoping to be placed somewhere that is looking to hire someone. That would be great! Well that's not for another 5 weeks, so here I am once again talking about my classes.

This mod, I have Research, The Study of Maturity (I asked if I could just go and hang out with my dad for 5 weeks but they said no.) and Health Unit Coordination. I like all of my teachers, and it's a good way to end my scholastic endeavor.

So today's classes were Study of Maturity, and Research. Since it was the first day, we didn't really do much. Just some handouts, and an overview of what we're going to be doing for the next 5 weeks. So I had to think of a topic for my research paper, and I think I'll be doing it on Physician Assisted Suicide, or the Death with Dignity Act. Right now 3 states allow for PAS, Washington, Oregon, and Montana. I've done some reading on it, and it's not an easy thing to do. There is a lot of red tape, and hoops to jump through, but that's because it's such a serious step to take. I have to try to be objective about this, but I have to say, I'm for it. If a person has a terminal illness, and will die in extreme pain, I don't see any reason why they can't go quietly, with dignity, on their own terms. So that's what I'll be doing in that class for the next five weeks. Writing a huge paper, that will impress my teacher and possibly change her mind. (She's undecided, I'm trying to tip her over.)

The Study of Maturity is exactly what it sounds like. It's the study of the elderly and aging. (I should get an A in this class, just for my experience.) The teacher said we were going to have fun in this class, so I'm waiting to see what she comes up with. I know we're going on field trips, and we're going to have a guest speaker, but other than that, she's not telling. Well I could teach this class just from the time I spent in South Florida. When I first arrived in West Palm Beach, I was a waitress. I worked for IHOP, and for Star Diner. Now the first thing I have to tell you is that the majority of elderly people are very nice, very polite, and don't give you any kind of trouble. Then there's the rest of them. The cheap people, who don't know how to do anything but complain, treat you like a non-entity, and figure what they are going to tip down to the exact penny. These people order a glass of water with lemon, then ask for Sweet and Low. They squeeze the lemon into the water, and add the Sweet and Low, and they have lemonade. For free. Because they're too cheap to pay the $1.25 for a soda. Then, if that weren't enough, when they left, and you went to clear the table, you find out that they have stolen pretty much everything on the table that wasn't nailed down. Salt and Pepper Shakers, the little vases with the silk flowers in it, the silverware, and your sugar/sweet and low holder. And to add insult to injury, they left you a dollar. A DOLLAR! These are also the people who run your ass off for the entire time they are there. More water, more bread (which the wife immediately puts into a plastic bag she shoves into her purse), more salad dressing, more gravy, more water...... it's never ending with these people. Now I'm sure you all know that IHOP stands for International House of Pancakes. But from the time I spent working there, I renamed it I Hate Old People. Now Star Diner was the same experience, except for one thing. The owner would not let us put the Sweet and Low on the table. When I asked him why, he said, "They steal it. One month my Sweet and Low bill was almost as high as my meat bill."
Now I know I'm showing you the extreme, and not all old people are like that. It's just that these are the "squeaky wheels" that make life miserable for everyone around them. So I'm going to try to go into this without any kind of bias, because three of my favorite people in the world fall into this age group. My dad, my uncle and my aunt. If we get to work with people like them, I'll be happy.
The other class I have is Health Unit Coordination. I have no idea what that class entails, but I will tell you on Wednesday.
Until then, think lovely thoughts, because I have the spot on my wall picked where I'll be hanging my degree!!!

Reach for the stars!!!!

1 comment: